Friday, November 19, 2010

Indian Fiction:
So here’s the deal, ever since my first book has released online and is expected in stores soon, many fellow authors have popped up from my friend circle/extended friend circle/ social network. This is a good thing, indeed. For ages we had a limited stock of Indian authors we can call our own apart from the breed that bred outside India. And the ones that flourished here have a different genre. Here’s my personal, really democratically personal list of authors that caught my eye:
Khushwant Singh: He has crudeness about him that I immensely enjoy though I disagree with his comment, where he said that Indian writers in Hindi are not good enough. I wish I could gift him a “Dharamveer Bharti” someday and make him take back his words.
Shobhaa De: She is the diva, more of a jack of all trades and not actively present in fiction.
Sagarika Ghose: I won’t put her into the regular author category, though I loved her “Blind Faith” and hated her “Gin Drinkers”. She would always be the journalist.
Sudha Murthy: I must confess the only writing I have read by her is the Tata story from her and that was really inspiring, being a Mechanical Engineer I identify with her struggle. Her books somehow have an Enid Blyton feel about them (guessed from covers, of course!) I seriously need to buy one someday.
Arundati Roy: Someone please explain God of Small things to me!! I won’t comment on her latest comment. She somehow seems to be trying desperately to model herself to the lines of a distorted version of Suu Kyi. Anyway, no comments.
That covers my list of the older generation.
Next come the new-breed writers and of course it starts as below:
Chetan Bhagat: I give him the credit of revolutionising the young readers. But that’s about it. I enjoyed 3-idiots, liked the latest book too. But somehow something is amiss, still trying to figure out what!
The chick-lit : I don’t remember the names, but there are quite  a few and I do enjoy reading them.
Tuhin Sinha: Never read, but he has a prescence, coz I have heard the name! Some egoistic I am !!
Thats about it.
So I am really excited about the new bred Indians, who have a story to tell. I am one of them, so sure its a welcome change. But I am just worried about what happens next. Here’s what my observation says, either you hit the jack pot or you don’t. (Should I draw a flow chart?) Sounds fun!! So here it goes:







































My point is I somehow still today admire the decency and privateness of JD Salinger, Emily Bronte etc. I accept that they lived in a different era and we are more of a open, media intruded society where what catches the eye, sells! But even after going through all the routes I prefer the last little red box of the chart above!
-(c) Dixy Gandhi.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Updike ,Ian McEwan....Shobha de and Arundhati roy they just seek publicity Kushwant singh is true indian writers ,Hides facts and leeks silently.Sudha murthy never to be considered as writer or thinker ,lady and her Husband, who mortgage Indian brains to west and pretend like a pioneer and intellectual.

Regards

Simpleton

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Guess u missed the title..its about Indian Authors. I really am amazed at your.. for want of a better word bitterness. Theres a thin line between straight-forwardness and bitterness and I wanted a word sitting on the line like someone walking a tightrope!
thx for visiting.

Anonymous said...

Dying to read your book... Somehow its not available in UK. Loved the chart... guess u will always be the engineer :-) remember the time when you desperately tried solving my PhD dilemma, u just have to have the solution, dont u?
As for the little red box... guess thats wat distinguishes you from the rest of them, u always were a private person. I recall my comment on ur very first posting of this blog.
Keep going. All d best.
PS: J D Salinger was a recluse who spent most of d time trying to find himself, more like u I suppose Some of them are at a higher level of conciousness where fame, publicity, money is not their calling...and they need to find what is! hope you do soon.
Love,
R