Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Falling in love with an idea of...

My first #SRK movie that ingrained the idea of boundless love was #Deewana. I was asked this question by foreigners about our craze with SRK. Lets face it, we either love him or hate him, or love to hate him! But he was somewhat of a phenomenon for us 90s women. The way I like to decipher our obsession with SRK is by reasoning that the era before him was in the order of angry young man followed by elopements of QSQT era and basically a void where no character shaped up. The Barjatya brigade was skewed towards family and then walks in an awkward looking man who provided the right balance of romance and great indian family values. #DDLJ was an epitome of crazy, immature hero who pulls pranks and then grows up enough to follow Simran home, who fights a very athletic 6' Parmeet Sethi only pumped on adreline from love for Simran, who stops midway when he notices he is about to hit the girls Dad. Move to #Pardes , SRK is now Rahul which is such a common name that it could be any tom,dick , harry from Indian population. He says, " Agar Ganga ki iffazat karna pyar hai... toh hai . ..( If protecting Ganga is love, then yes, i am in love with her) ... Then there was #Dilse, just the way he looked at Manisha Koirala melted hearts.
But then came the critics, who said he was in a box and had a range beyond which he couldnt perform.He proved with #Swades and #ChakDe.
By now, its evident how big a fan I am of the man. A man I never found handsome btw, and isnt it a criteria when we crush over celebrities?
So what is it about him? And then i realise, I am in love with the idea of that man, of the characters he created. Of the crazy #Mohabbatein fazed nostalgia. Of the virginity of first love. Think of it, it matched me at right age. With this realisation, is also the realisation of the fact that how frequently do we fall in love with an idea of something or someone? And how frequently we suffer when reality fails to match our expectations?
I, a die hard #SRK fan didnt watch #FAN or #RAEES or  by the same logic, I wont watch #Zero simply because it doesn't match my idea of SRK. I did watch #Dilwale and #DearZindagi. By experimenting, he is not matching my expectations of him. At 50, he might not be able to play a romantic lead, or maybe bollywood lacks the creativity to come up with scripts for him.( I have two ready) whatever.
By being rigid to my idea of SRK , I am not even giving him a chance.
Sadly, this is well reflected in our lives, we fall in love with an idea of ourselves or our loved ones and forget to be fluid. Sometimes we suffer from undue stress when reality doesnt match up...
How many such ideas have tied you up?

No comments: